Oil slick in California – level 1
This news is from California. A pipeline breaks. Oil is in this pipeline. The oil comes out of the pipeline. It gets into the sea.
The oil pollutes a beach. People must clean it. They clean it all day and night. There is also an oil slick in the water. It is nine miles long.
A company operates the pipeline. It said sorry for this. People want to know why this happened.
Difficult words: pipeline (a long and thin thing in which oil or water moves), pollute (to make very dirty), oil slick (some oil on water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does something like this make you worry about the planet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.