Oil Spill in Indonesia – level 2
In the Indonesian port city of Balikpapan, there is an oil spill. It has killed four people and one person is missing. The spill has spread to around 18 square kilometres.
People complained of a strong smell of fuel in the area, and hundreds reported health issues. Leaders gave out over 1,300 masks to people.
The oil damaged fishermen’s boats and they cannot reach the fish. They held a protest at the mayor’s office, asking for help.
People are trying to find the source of the leak and find out the level of damage.
Difficult words: oil spill (when oil gets into the sea), spread (move, cover the area of), source of the leak (where the oil is coming from).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos