Oil Well Fire – level 2
Last week, a fire started at the Yarakta oilfield in Siberia, Russia. Workers tried to stop the fire; however, the hose that they were using did not work normally. After a week, the oil company decided to ask the Russian army for help.
It was not easy because the temperature near the oil well was very high, and soldiers could not get close to it. The soldiers fired an anti-tank gun at the oil well to stop the fire.
It is common to stop oil well fires with anti-tank guns because the explosion uses oxygen, and as a result, there is not enough oxygen to keep the fire burning.
In the 1950s and 1960s, the Soviet Union used nuclear tests to stop several gas and oil well fires.
Difficult words: oilfield (a place where there is a lot of oil in the ground), oil well (a deep hole through which people get oil from the ground), anti-tank gun (a military gun that destroys tanks).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos