Old Letter in a Chimney – level 1
A boy writes to Father Christmas (Santa). He asks for some things in the letter. He puts the letter in his home’s chimney. Father Christmas never gets the letter. It stays in the chimney.
Seventy-four years later, builders tear down the chimney. They find the letter. They are surprised. They take a picture of it. They put the picture on Facebook.
An old man sees the picture. He contacts the builders. The old man is that little boy! It is his letter.
The old man meets the builders. The builders give him the things that he wanted from the letter.
Difficult words: chimney (a tall round or rectangular thing where smoke from a fire goes up and leaves a building), tear down (to destroy, to break), surprised (if something special happens, it can surprise you).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the builders finding the old man’s letter?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.