Old man is hit by a train – level 2
A security camera captured the moment a train hit a pensioner. The man was 77 years old and he was from the Czech Republic, Europe.
The man started to walk through a level crossing in a Czech village. He did not know about the approaching train. Suddenly, the train appeared behind the man. He fell on the ground and his shoe flew away.
The man hobbled away and he was not injured. The man will have to pay £100 over the incident.
Difficult words: pensioner (person who doesn’t work anymore and receives money from the government), approach (move towards something), hobble (to walk with difficulty).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you help this man?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos