Old Windmill in London – level 2
A building that might be in the countryside sits in South London. It is Brixton Flour Mill. It is 200 years old, and it is the only working flour mill in London. It operates basically the same as it always has.
To turn grain into flour, a person takes the grain and puts it into the hopper head on top of the machine. Inside the machine, two stones crush the grain into flour while also forcing it out into a bag.
Friends of the windmill want to build an educational centre, but they will need people’s help and new ideas.
Difficult words: flour (white thing for making bread), grain (pieces of a farmed plant which are used for making flour), hopper head (a container that helps move the grain into the mill machine).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos