Old Windmill in London – level 3
In South London, you can see the capital’s only working flour mill, a building that you would expect to see in the countryside instead. It is Brixton Flour Mill, now 200 years old, and basically still running the same as it always has, albeit on electricity.
To work the mill, a person scoops up grain and places it into the hopper head on top of the machine. Inside the machine, two stones crush and cut the grain while also forcing the flour out into a bag.
Friends of the building want to open a 360,000-pound educational centre. The flour will keep the windmill running, but the building needs help from new volunteers and new ideas to help it keep going.
Difficult words: mill (a building that turns grain into flour), albeit (although), hopper head (a container that is shaped like a funnel – a container that has a narrow hole at the end to control where things move).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos