Old Woman Learns to Read – level 3
Eighty-seven-year-old Ursula Shepherd from the UK left school in 1944 without being able to read, and she never had time to learn to read because she had to look after her poorly parents. At school in the 1930s and 1940s, she had pretended to read by turning the page when her classmates did.
Ursula felt that she had missed out and felt really sad seeing other people read the papers or a book and decided that it was time to finally learn to read. She is making progress and hopes that she can inspire other people to read, too.
Difficult words: poorly (ill, unwell).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos