Olympic ban – level 1
Olympic Games take place in Paris, France, in 2024. Many countries believe that Russian and Belarusian athletes should not compete in the Games.
35 ministers take part in an online meeting. The meeting is about a ban on Russian and Belarusian athletes. Russian athletes fight in the war with Ukraine. 228 Ukrainian athletes and coaches already die in the war.
Ukraine says that it will boycott the Games if Russian and Belarusian athletes compete. The International Olympic Committee is trying to calm the situation. It is possible that Russian and Belarusian athletes will compete as neutrals. It means that they will not represent their country.
Difficult words: compete (to take part in a game or match), coach (a person who trains an athlete or a sports team), boycott (to not buy a product or do something as a way of protest).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What will happen to the Russian and Belarusian athletes if they compete as neutrals at the Olympic Games in 2024?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos