Olympic Games in Brazil – level 1
The Olympic Games in Brazil begin. They are the first Olympic Games in South America. There is an opening ceremony. It celebrates Brazil’s natural beauty, history and culture. Three billion people watch the ceremony.
Some people protest against the games. They say that they are too expensive. They protest against corruption too. The opening ceremony costs 21 million dollars. In 2012, London pays 42 million.
Difficult words: ceremony (a big event, party), celebrate (if you celebrate something, you have a good time to show that you respect something), natural beauty (animals and plants).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you watch the Olympics?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.