Orlando Bloom in Ukraine – level 3
“We’ve just driven for a couple of hours. We’re about 3 kilometres away from the front line and, actually, this sign here says ‘bomb shelter’.”
From Hollywood to Ukraine, Orlando Bloom has travelled to the country for Unicef.
“It’s an Easter chick, Easter, Easter chicken.”
“That’s so sweet. Thank you very much.”
He is the first high-profile celebrity to make the journey for Unicef, which has spent nearly 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families.
“There are 300,000 children in eastern Ukraine who need help to continue their education.”
The father-of-one visited a classroom, which had been hit by shells while the students were at school, and spoke to children who are receiving counselling from Unicef-supported psychologists.
“Was it scary?”
“I guess this was her bed. And then, she said this was her chair to sit in and read. Oh…”
“When you think that only 2% of humanitarian aid goes towards education, it’s just simply not enough.”
Bloom has backed the Education Cannot Wait fund. It launches the first World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul in May. It aims to raise almost 3 billion pounds to reach 13.6 million children in need of education in emergency zones within five years, before reaching 75 million children by 2030.
Difficult words: shell (a bomb), counselling (consultation, advice, help), back verb (to help), launch (to start).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.