Oslo attack – level 2
On Saturday, an attacker killed two people and injured 21 others in Oslo, Norway.
At about 1:15 AM, the attack started in a popular gay bar. Witnesses said that a man took out a gun from his bag, and he started to shoot. Luckily, the police took only a few minutes to arrest the man.
Officials said that the attacker was a 42-year-old Norwegian, but he originally came from Iran. Police said that the incident was a terrorist attack. Authorities knew this man since 2015, and they suspected that he was a radicalized Islamist. In May, police talked to the man, but they didn’t believe he was dangerous.
The attack happened only hours before the Pride Parade. Organizers canceled the event because they were afraid that another attack could happen.
Difficult words: witness (a person who sees something happen), suspect (to believe that something is true), radicalized (dangerous ideas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos