Owls attack people – level 3
Residents in the Dutch town of Purmerend have been advised to arm themselves with umbrellas at night to protect themselves from a recent spate of owl attacks. Many have come under attack from the birds in recent weeks with some ending up requiring treatment in hospital.
Two members of the local athletics club were the latest to fall prey to the bird on Tuesday. Victim Martin Berghraaf was given a tetanus injection following the bird’s attack.
The local town councillor has said authorities were hoping to be permitted to catch the bird which is a protected species. The council said it was planning for a falconer to try to catch the owl so that it can be given quality care if and when it is caught.
Difficult words: resident (a person who lives somewhere), spate (a series), fall prey to (to be hunted by), tetanus (a bacterial disease), councillor (a member of a council or a group of people who manage something), species (animal kind), falconer (a person who trains birds of prey – big birds which can hunt).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.