Panic in Hawaii – level 2
On Saturday, January 13th, Hawaiians received an emergency text message that said that a ballistic missile was flying to Hawaii.
People started panicking, as they thought that they were going to die! They called their loved ones and sought shelter.
However, there was no real danger because the text message was a mistake. The next day, the Hawaii governor apologised and said that somebody ‘pushed the wrong button’.
Difficult words: emergency (a dangerous situation), ballistic missile (a long, flying bomb that can travel very far), seek (find, look for), shelter (a safe place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos