Party in Rio – level 3
Have you ever wondered what it looks like before the most famous and colourful carnival in the world? Well, it’s certainly not a case of calm before the storm!
Thousands of people hit the streets of Rio de Janeiro for a traditional street parade a week ahead of the carnival. From guitar-playing Wonder Women, to Minions, to the more conventional revellers. The crowds made their way towards what’s known locally as “Christ’s armpit”, a place overlooked by the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue.
This lady said that Brazilians were very happy because they’re hosting the Olympic Games, and the carnival helps get them into the spirit of celebrating the event.
The parade is a huge part of Brazilian culture and tradition and attracts millions of people each year. If this is just the warm-up, this year’s carnival is expected to be a scorcher.
Difficult words: conventional (traditional, normal), reveller (a person who is having fun), huge (very big), scorcher (this means two things: very hot and very amazing, an extreme example of something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.