People destroy old shelters – level 2
There was a place in western Australia with 46,000-year-old rock shelters made by aboriginals.
In May 2020, an iron company destroyed these rock shelters to make a mine after ignoring the aboriginal owners. This upset people because the shelters had some of the oldest and continuous human habitations.
One of the members of an aboriginal group said that people and the company needed to work together. He said that the group was comfortable with mining, but it wanted to be part of the decisions in the future and to stop this from happening again.
As a consequence, the company’s boss and some leaders lost their jobs, and some leaders did not get any extra pay.
Difficult words: shelter (a simple home), aboriginal (the first people who live somewhere), mine (a deep hole from which people take minerals), habitation (a home, a place where people live), consequence (a result of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.