People fight polio – level 1
Polio is a disease. It is very dangerous for small children. It can leave a person paralyzed. You cannot move. A virus causes the disease. The virus lives in the digestive system. It moves in dirty places.
Many people don’t know that they are ill. Only some people have symptoms. The symptoms are often a sore throat and a fever. People don’t know that they are ill. The disease moves more easily.
Humans try to end polio. They try for more than 35 years. Some events happen. They are events like COVID-19 and floods in Pakistan. They make the fight more difficult.
Bill and Melinda Gates donate 1.2 billion dollars. They want to stop polio. Experts hope that this change will happen next year.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.