People get bad blood – level 1
Hemophilia is a disease. It means that the body has problems stopping bleeding.
In the 1970s and 80s, thousands of hemophilia patients in the UK need new blood. The blood comes from the US. Some blood comes from people who use drugs or prisoners. They are ill. They have hepatitis C or HIV. When patients get the blood, they become ill, too. 3,000 people die. It is a big tragedy for their families. Many people want the government to take responsibility for what happens.
In 2017, an investigation starts. Last week, officials say that the government must pay 125,000 dollars to the families. But it is not the final sum of money.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the final sum of money the government needs to pay to the families affected by this tragedy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.