People help a flamingo – level 2
A flamingo at a Brazilian zoo broke its leg. Unfortunately, the bottom portion of the leg had to be amputated to stop it from getting infected.
The bird was given a lightweight 18 centimetre prosthetic leg. It was made of carbon fibre, which is a strong and light material, with silicon ends.
The flamingo still limps a little, but it is becoming more comfortable with its new body part. It can already put the leg under its body, which is a thing that flamingos often do.
Difficult words: amputate (to cut off a body part), prosthetic (not of the body; made by people), limp (to walk badly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you happy to know that the animal is going to be fine? :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.