People touch a dolphin – level 3
A dolphin has died in Argentina after being manhandled by beachgoers.
This shocking footage shows holidaymakers at the Santa Teresita resort in Buenos Aires, circling the Franciscan dolphin and stroking and prodding the animal. The crowd pulled the animal from the water in order to take photos with it, seemingly unaware of the animal’s discomfort. Taking dolphins out of the water can lead to rapid dehydration and even death for the animal.
The Franciscan dolphin is one of the smallest and rarest breeds in the world. It’s thought to be vulnerable to extinction with just 30,000 believed to be left in the wild.
After these images emerged, the Argentine Wildlife Foundation issued a warning to the public about the dolphins’ vulnerability in the hope that it will prevent similar incidents of this shocking kind.
Difficult words: manhandle (to pick something up roughly), circle (to go around something in a circle), stroke (to touch), prod (to poke, to touch with your finger), breed (a kind, a type), extinction (dying out), emerge (to come out to the public), issue (to publish), vulnerability (being vulnerable – hurt easily).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.