People walk through a village again – level 2
Aceredo was a village in Spain’s northwestern Galicia, on the border with Portugal. In 1992, workers built a dam in the area, and the village went underwater. The name of the dam was Alto Lindoso.
Recent years were very dry, and several dams in the area started to have problems. Their capacity dropped to 60%, and last year their capacity dropped to 44%. The Portuguese government said that it was not possible to use water from dams to water fields. Some dams also stopped making electricity.
In Alto Lindoso, capacity dropped to 15%, and it was possible to see the old village again. People could walk through its streets and see the houses and walls. Some visitors lived in the village in the past, and they said that it was a very emotional moment for them. They could visit a place which was once their home.
Difficult words: dam (a structure with high walls across a river which stops the water, and which makes electricity), capacity (the amount of something which can fit inside a container, a room, and so on), emotional (connected to strong feelings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos