Peru crisis – level 1
Pedro Castillo is the president of Peru. He tries to dissolve the Congress. Officials remove him from his job.
On December 7, 2022, Dina Boluarte becomes the new president. She is the sixth president since 2016. Some people still like Castillo. They protest.
The protests last for more than a week. More than 14 people die. Boluarte says a new election will happen soon. The protests don’t stop.
Last weekend, protesters fight with police. Seven people die. 50 people are hurt. In some places, people must stay inside at night. It is too dangerous.
Difficult words: dissolve (to break or make weaker), remove (to take away from a job), election (the time for people to vote a person for a job in government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos