Philippines oil spill – level 2
On 28 February, tanker MT Princess Express started to have problems with the engine in the rough sea.
The tanker, which carried 800,000 liters of industrial fuel, sank to the bottom of the sea.
The oil spill got to the Philippines’ Mindoro Island, and it stained its beaches. Many people tried to clean them, but once they did it, the sea brought more oil.
Authorities said that they located the tanker and that it was 366 meters deep, off Oriental Mindoro province. Scientists said that about 36,000 hectares of coral reefs, mangroves, and sea grass could be in danger.
Difficult words: oil spill (when oil gets into the sea or other body of water), stain (to make dirty), locate (to know where exactly something or someone is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential long-term environmental impacts of this oil spill on Mindoro Island?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos