Polar Bear in a Village – level 2
A young polar bear strayed into a village in the Russian Arctic. Locals trapped her underneath a house and called the defence ministry.
A military aircraft travelled to the island to rescue the polar bear. She travelled by a helicopter to a town in Russia’s Far East, and then people took her on a plane to Moscow. She is going to the city zoo.
Polar bears are called white bears in Russia. They live in the Arctic. They are a vulnerable species because of their changing natural home.
Difficult words: stray (move without knowing where you are going), trap (when something or someone cannot escape a place), vulnerable species (an animal kind which is in danger of dying out).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos