Polar bear triplets in Holland – level 3
Rare polar bear triplets have been born at a wildlife park in Holland.
Mother Freedom gave birth to the adorable cubs at the Netherlands Wild Life Park on Saturday. Keepers say the little ones, which are yet to be named, appear to be in good health.
“At this moment they look very healthy, they are drinking with the mother, they are very – how do you call that – active and they look very nice. They are big, big enough to survive, so we hope they will survive.”
The cubs are enjoying exploring their new surroundings and are currently enclosed inside their artificial snow and ice den where keepers can watch them from a webcam so they don’t disturb the new family.
“They are in a den inside – very quiet, no noise. The mother has to do it all by herself and we can only observe the polar bear cubs and the mother with the webcam and for the rest we can do nothing.”
The next few weeks are crucial for the cubs’ survival as it’s very rare that all polar bear cubs make it through their first winter and it’s even rarer for female polar bears to give birth to triplets.
Difficult words: rare (it happens very few times), adorable (cute), cub (a young bear or animal), appear (look or seem), enclosed (be inside), artificial (man-made), den (a wild animal’s hidden home), disturb (bother), observe (watch), for the rest (everything else), crucial (extremely important).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.