Police Come to a Temple – level 2
There is a controversial Buddhist temple sect in Thailand. Its leader faces criminal charges. He is 72 years old, and people have not seen him in months.
Thai police attack the temple. The police want to arrest the leader, but we do not know if he was there.
The temple is closed now, and there are around 3,000 police officers there.
Difficult words: controversial (if something is controversial, people have different opinions about it, or they do not like it, or they do not understand it fully), temple (a building for a god, such as a church, a synagogue, or a mosque), sect (a group of people with a very specific religion, often extreme or even dangerous), face criminal charges (when the police want to talk to you because they think that you did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.