Police Officer Saves a Man – level 1
It is Wednesday morning. A California police officer, Erika Urrea, is driving her police car. She sees something unusual. A man on a wheelchair is stuck on railroad tracks. The man cannot move.
A train is coming fast. Urrea sees the train. She quickly jumps out of her car. She runs towards the man. She wants to help him.
The man cannot stand up. Urrea pulls the man from his wheelchair. They both fall down. The train comes. Urrea and the man are only inches away from the train.
The man is 66 years old. His leg is hurt. He must go to the hospital. However, Urrea saves his life. The police department is very proud of Urrea. She is very brave.
Difficult words: wheelchair (a special chair that people who cannot walk use to move around a place), stuck (when somebody cannot move or change a position), railroad tracks (metal rails on which trains travel).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos