Politics in Sudan – level 3
Sudan has been in political chaos since President Omar al-Bashir was overthrown in April. A military council took power after al-Bashir’s exit, but the country has still not been stable.
People protested in the streets for new leadership last month after a pro-democracy sit-in led to more than 100 deaths. People later agreed that the military representatives would share power with civilians for the next three years until elections can be held.
Last Thursday, the military council said that it prevented a coup, arresting 16 current and former officers. The government said that more people were involved in the attempted coup and they were searching for them.
Difficult words: sit-in (a type of protest when people stay somewhere and do not leave until somebody does what they want), coup (getting power quickly and illegally), attempt (try to do something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos