Prince Philip dies – level 2
Prince Philip died on Friday at the age of 99. Philip was the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, and he was one of the most important people in the British Royal Family.
Philip and Elizabeth were married at Westminster Abbey, London, England, in 1947. Philip supported his wife for almost 70 years, and he attended thousands of events with her. He always walked one step behind her.
Philip had no official role, but his wife once said that he was her best friend, and he made her stronger. Philip and Elizabeth had four children, and their first son Charles will be the next king of Britain.
Some people did not like Philip’s behavior. It was easy to make him angry and he often said unpleasant things. He was also very intelligent, and people loved his energy and wit.
Difficult words: role (somebody’s job in a situation or activity), behavior (what somebody does or how he speaks to other people in some situations), wit (when somebody can quickly use the right words, often in a clever and funny way).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.