Prison Beauty Pageant – level 3
Last week’s Friday was a special day at Rio de Janeiro’s maximum-security prison for women, as it hosted its annual beauty pageant for its inmates.
The prison selected ten inmates to style their hair, don dresses and swap their cells for a catwalk. One prisoner said that even though she was imprisoned, she did feel like it for a moment.
The participants of the event were judged not only on their beauty but also their sympathy and attitude. A crowd of 440 inmates, as well as their relatives, cheered them on. Apart from the prison’s pageant title, the winner also received a fan and a hair straightener.
The event’s aim is to improve the inmates’ self-esteem and give them a chance to meet with their loved ones.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), beauty pageant (an event when people try to look their best and others look and judge them), inmate (prisoner), don (put on), attitude (the way you act and what you think), self-esteem (self-respect).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.