Prison Guards Lie – level 1
Jeffrey Epstein is a rich American businessman. He works with many people. He is a friend to some government leaders. Police find evidence that he sexually abuses many young girls. He goes to prison in 2019.
Two prison guards at that prison have a job. They need to see if Epstein is safe. They need to see him every 30 minutes. They write down every time they see him.
Later in 2019, the two prison guards find that Epstein is dead. A professional says that he hangs himself.
The two guards have to go to court. The court finds that the guards lie about how many times they see Epstein. They are in a lot of trouble now.
Difficult words: evidence (something that shows you what to believe), sexually abuse (hurt someone sexually or make him or her do something sexual), court (a place where people make legal decisions about what is right or not right).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.