Problems with bottled water – level 3
Bottled water is a convenient product when you need a quick drink; however, where is it made and why does it cost so much?
Tap water isn’t a universal luxury. It’s estimated that more than 800 million people around the world don’t have safe drinking water, and even in the US, cities had to use bottled water instead of tap water. The tap water had aging facilities or toxic chemicals in the water supply.
Bottled water isn’t better or cleaner than tap water. Tap water has more laws than bottled water; however, bottled water costs more.
Bottled water has a huge environmental impact. It usually comes from a lake, spring, or underground aquifer, and on average, manufacturers need 3 liters of water to make one liter of bottled water, To make plastic bottles, they need billions of gallons of oil every year and 2,000 times more energy than tap water needs.
Difficult words: convenient (useful to a purpose), universal luxury (something that everyone has and is pleasant), aquifer (a layer of rock, sand, or Earth that contains water).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos