Professor Stephen Hawking – level 2
British Professor Stephen Hawking died at the age of 76 in 2018.
He was born in 1942, got a degree in physics from Oxford University, and made his postgraduate research in cosmology at Cambridge University. In 1964, he married and had three children.
Doctors diagnosed him with a rare disease that left him paralysed, and they gave him only a few years to live, but he lived much longer and made important scientific discoveries.
He proved Einstein’s General Relativity, that the universe began with the Big Bang and that the universe will end in black holes. His book A Brief History of Time sold over 10 million copies and the physicist received many honours.
Difficult words: postgraduate (more education that you get after college), cosmology (the study of the universe), honour (an official award).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos