Protest in Bolivia – level 3
“It’s your fault my son will die. You are murderers!” she shouts.
A protest by disabled Bolivians got heated yesterday with police using pepper spray and tear gas on them, causing many to collapse. 150 activists had made a 230-mile trek to La Paz with the aim of protesting in front of the presidential palace, but they were stopped by police with the group then trying to break through a gate.
They’re demanding an increase in their benefits, they currently receive just under 100 pounds a year but they want to receive around 50 pounds a month instead. And they’ve taken to extreme measures to raise awareness of their plight, suspending themselves from bridges and even bricking themselves into tiny enclosures.
Ana Belan begged the government for a solution, saying they have children who are with them. She asked them to use their hearts unless they preferred to see blood.
But the government say extra help is not possible, saying a monthly bonus of 50 pounds is unfeasible, unsustainable, and not rational.
Despite the extreme measures taken by police to stop the protest, the government do say they are willing to enter talks with the protesters.
Difficult words: plight (a difficult situation), suspend (to hang), tiny (very small), enclosure (a space), unfeasible (not feasible – doable).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.