Protest in Hungary – level 2
Thousands of Hungarians protested in Budapest against a planned tax on Internet data transfers.
People held up their mobile phones and lit up the square in front of the Economy Ministry. Some people also went to nearby government buildings and broke some windows.
If the government passes the new law, Internet service providers will have to pay $2.89 per individual subscriber and $20.65 per business subscriber every month. The government says that it’s trying to reduce the country’s debt, but people think that the government wants to reduce their freedom instead.
Difficult words: Internet service provider (company which lets you connect to the Internet), subscriber (a person who pays every month for a service), debt (money which must be paid).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the future of the Internet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.