Protest in Spain – level 3
An estimated 35,000 people took to the streets of Pamplona, a provincial capital in Spain, to protest against the acquittal of five men accused of gang rape on Sunday.
At the city’s famous San Fermín bull-running festival in 2016, the men attacked an 18-year-old woman. Later the men were convicted on a lesser felony of sexual abuse and sentenced to nine years each in prison.
The Spanish government reacted to the public outrage and announced plans to convene discussions on possible legal reforms.
Difficult words: acquittal (a judgement that a person is not guilty of a crime), accused (a person on trial for a crime), lesser (not so great or important), felony (a serious crime), outrage (a reaction of anger of the people), convene (bring together).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos