Protest in Ukraine – level 3
Protesters in Ukraine are demonstrating in a camp outside the country’s parliament, as they support the exiled opposition leader Mikheil Saakashvili, and they demand that President Petro Poroshenko resign.
They also call for a new anti-corruption court.
Police entered this camp on Saturday to investigate an earlier conflict, but their presence escalated the tension. After people set tires alight, the police detained over 100 people and began demolishing the camp with a tractor.
The National Police says that the policemen found several grenades and the makings of Molotov cocktails on the site.
Difficult words: resign (quit a job), escalate (grow), tension (a very uneasy feeling), detain (arrest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos