Protesters get into president’s house – level 3
On Saturday, thousands of people protested in Sri Lanka. In one of the largest anti-government rallies this year, they demanded President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to resign due to a huge economic crisis.
Protesters in Sri Lanka’s capital Colombo clashed with police, and they broke through barriers in front of the president’s official home. Police fired teargas to control the crowds; however, the demonstrators stormed the building. The president left on Friday ahead of the planned demonstrations, so he wasn’t inside the home when hundreds of people entered.
Footage circulated on social media that showed people bathing in a swimming pool inside the president’s house. Thousands of people also broke open the gates of the presidential secretariat and the finance ministry.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.