Protests at US Embassy – level 1
Last weekend, the US uses planes to attack a militia group in Iraq. The attacks kill 25 people. They hurt more people.
Then 6,000 protesters go to the US embassy in Baghdad, Iraq. They are angry about the attacks. Many of the protesters are from the militia group.
Some of the protesters get into the embassy. They burn things. They break windows. The US soldiers try to protect the embassy. They use a gas that hurts the protesters’ eyes.
No Americans are hurt in the protests. People do not have to evacuate the embassy.
Iran supports this militia group. Iran says that it is not part of the protests.
Difficult words: militia (a group of people who are like an army), protester (a person who says or does things to show he does not agree with a government or leaders), embassy (a building that a country keeps in another country so the two countries can work together), evacuate (to leave a dangerous place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.