Purdue Can Pay – level 2
More than 200,000 people in the USA died from opioid overdose between 1999 and 2017. OxyContin is one of the opioids. Purdue Pharma produces it, and the Sacler family owns the company.
People are suing Purdue over its contribution to the opioid epidemic. Newsy reported on Wednesday that Purdue possibly plans to pay out $10 billion to $12 billion to more than 2,000 lawsuits against it.
Difficult words: overdose (when you take too much of a drug and die), sue (go to a court of law and say that somebody did something wrong), contribution (a part which makes something happen), epidemic (a serious sickness that many people have).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.