Qatar solar power plant – level 3
On Tuesday, Qatar opened a 800-megawatt solar power plant in Al Kharsaah, about 80 kilometers west of Doha. After the inauguration ceremony, Qatari Sheikh Tamim toured the plant’s main control room.
People built the massive power plant over 10 square kilometers and equipped it with nearly 2 million solar modules. The modules are mounted on trackers to take full advantage of the region’s exceptional sunshine.
The power plant can potentially produce 1.6 gigawatts by the year 2030, which will be the equivalent to 10% of the country’s highest electricity demand. The project is Qatar’s first large-scale solar power plant, and it will significantly reduce the country’s environmental pollution.
According to reports, several solar power companies developed the project that cost around 500 million dollars.
Difficult words: inauguration (a formal ceremony to start something), tracker (a device that follows the movements of someone or something), equivalent (something that’s equal in amount, value, function, and so on).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos