Race of self-driving cars – level 2
People held a two-day driverless car contest in China. Up to 22 self-driving cars from 14 universities competed.
The competition is called Future Challenge 2014, and there are two categories – the expressways, suburban roads and urban roads. The cars drove 15 kilometres around a local lake in the first day of the race. The cars also had to make a 90-degree turn, which is one of the hardest parts of the race.
Difficult words: expressway (a wide and fast road in a city), suburban (of the suburb – an area where people live that is away from the city centre), urban (city).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the idea of self-driving cars?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.