Radioactive Water in Florida – level 2
A sinkhole opened up six months ago at a plant in Florida. The plant takes phosphate rock and converts it into fertiliser. People are filling up the sinkhole, but 980,000 cubic metres of radioactive water went down into it.
People hope that the radioactive water does not get to them. One woman said she that doesn’t drink or cook with the water. She showers in the water and thinks that she will “glow one day”.
The company says that the radioactive water is only at its property. People will test the water 4 times this year and twice in 2018.
Difficult words: plant (a place with some industry), fertiliser (a thing which makes plants and flowers grow better), glow (give out light).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos