Rapper Wants to Be President – level 3
Kanye West is an American rapper, songwriter, producer and even a fashion designer. This week, West announced on Twitter that he is running for US president in this year’s election.
West could still meet the deadline to run as an independent candidate in some states; however, some people speculate that West’s announcement is a publicity stunt.
The rapper just released his latest single, and his new album will be released soon. West made a similar announcement a few times before. During MTV’s 2015 Video Music Awards, he said that he would run for president in 2020, and last year, he said that he would run for president in 2024’s election.
It is unclear whether West has filed paperwork for his presidency with the Federal Election Commission. There seems to be no campaign committee set up for West for this year’s election.
Difficult words: speculate (to guess possible answers to a question that somebody does not have enough information about), publicity stunt (a planned event designed to catch people’s attention), campaign committee (the team of people who help prepare a candidate, and they care about the financial matters of a campaign).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos