Real Diamond for £10 – level 1
People go to a car boot sale. They buy a diamond for £10. They think that it is just costume jewellery. This is back in the 1980s.
Now, the people have the stone valued. They find out that it is a real diamond! It is 26.27 carats (5.3 grams) heavy. It goes on auction for around £350,000. The people are very happy.
Difficult words: car boot sale (an outdoor sale where people sell things they do not want any more), costume jewellery (jewellery made from cheap materials), value (look at something and say how much it is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.