Robbery in Paris – level 3
A gang of thieves have crashed a 4×4 into the front door of a Chanel boutique in central Paris. The three suspects made off with purses worth several thousand pounds but not before they torched the car and escaped on scooters.
The Chanel shop on Avenue Montaigne is along a street with several haute couture brands. The shop’s glass door entrance was broken and burnt debris littered the path. Police have now retrieved the vehicle and taken it away for analysis.
A similar break-in took place in a Chanel boutique in the South Kensington neighbourhood of London last January when a car crashed into the front of a shop, allowing burglars to enter.
There has been a series of high-profile robberies on luxury stores in central Paris in recent years, often targeting prestigious jewellery or watch boutiques at some of Paris’s most exclusive addresses.
Difficult words: torch (to set on fire), haute couture (high-quality and fashionable), debris (pieces of something broken), litter (to make something untidy), prestigious (fancy and expensive).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.