Rohingya Refugees – level 2
A drone filmed thousands of Rohingya en route to Bangladesh. They are fleeing ethnic cleansing in Myanmar.
More than 500,000 people have moved from Myanmar to Bangladesh since August. The UN says that this is the ‘fastest-growing refugee emergency in the world today’.
Last Monday, 12 people, including six children died, when a boat overturned.
Difficult words: en route (on the way), flee (run away), ethnic cleansing (mass killing of a type of people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos