Rohingya Refugees – level 3
Drone footage released by the UNHCR shows thousands of Rohingya refugees arriving in Bangladesh after fleeing violence in Myanmar, which a top UN official has accused the people there of textbook ethnic cleansing.
Over half a million Rohingya refugees have sought safety in Bangladesh since August with hundreds of people dying on en route. The UN has called this the ‘fastest-growing refugee emergency in the world today’.
Last Monday, 12 people, including six children, died when an overcrowded boat capsized.
Difficult words: UNHCR (an agency of the UN which monitors and helps refugees), flee (run away), accuse (to say that somebody is doing something wrong), ethnic cleansing (mass killing of a certain type of people), en route (on the way), capsize (overturn).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.