Rolling Stones in Cuba – level 3
For the first time in history, the Rolling Stones rocked Cuba. Watched by tens of thousands, Mick Jagger and co. kicked off with their hit “Jumping Jack Flash”.
It might only be rock and roll but the Cuban fans more than liked it. Fans started queuing for the concert 18 hours before the gates opened. They were all dressed to impress with the iconic tongue logo across all items of clothing.
When the Stones first formed in 1962, Cuba’s revolutionary government, led by Fidel Castro, found their music to be dangerous and banned it across TV and radio.
Today though, Cuban fans were nothing short of ecstatic to watch the British band play half a century on.
Difficult words: rock (to play rock music and to make very excited), and co. (and company, and the rest), nothing short of (nothing less than), ecstatic (very happy).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.