Rope skipping records – level 3
He can move his legs faster than you can count and now this Chinese schoolboy has set two new world records in rope skipping.
Cen Xiaolin racked up an impressive 108 skips in 30 seconds and another 548 in three minutes. The primary school student was taking part in the first World Inter-School Rope Skipping Championships in Dubai.
The organisers said it was very hard to count the jumps manually at the side of the court, as it was all a bit of a blur. However, the result was finally confirmed after judges re-watched the feet in slow motion.
Students from Qi Sheng primary school won 27 gold medals from a total of 29 categories.
The eleven-year-old offered up his advice to anyone wishing to challenge his record – upon returning home to Hangzhou City, he told reporters the trick lies in swaying the rope very, very fast while keeping your upper body very steady.
The next World Championships are expected to take place in Sweden in July, so that’s plenty of time to get practicing – I think I’ll get my rope then!
Difficult words: rack up (to scorea large number of points), inter-school (happening between two or more schools), manual (to by hand or in person), blur (something blurry – not clear, sharp).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.